Pump Geyser

Pump Geyser

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Day 167: Focal Point

Hello!

Though the storms from last week have continued into this week, there has been a lot more sunshine, making way for more time to explore.

With some good sunlight during the morning, I was able to get onto a photo tour of the most-popular slot canyon in the area. It's one that I've been avoiding due to the summer crowds, but as the season is slowing down, I decided it was a good time to go.

What an incredible experience! The first time I ever went on this tour, it was a rushed tour through the canyon, but this time, our tour had two hours to explore the canyon. The sunbeams were beginning to reach the bottom of the canyon in long, slender lines. The colors of the canyons themselves were filled with yellows, oranges, and reds towards the bottom-end of the canyon where the chambers are large, but then the canyon becomes darker towards the back as the canyon narrows, allowing for only a little bit of light at the very top of the canyon walls. Photographing the canyon was a little bit of a challenge due to the number of people still visiting the canyon. It was the most crowded I had ever seen that canyon, but still our tour guide was good at making space for us to take the photographs we wanted.

Sunday was our last Sunday. KelLee and I had the great joy of having eleven people attend the service! It was awesome to experience, as most Sundays this year has been only one or two other people joining us for service. To have so many people attend the service was a really great experience!

As a final treat before school starts, I got to make an overnight dash to the Grand Canyon. Since my visit during the Spring was spent in the main section of the canyon, I focused my time on the east rim of the canyon, where the flat desert ascends to the peaks of the Palisades, then instantly drop to the depths of the canyon. While the upper end of the Grand Canyon is shallower than the main part, it was beautiful to see. I found one point that had some great vantages to photographing both sunset and sunrise. This section of the rim is where the Colorado makes a drastic turn from the north, flowing from Lake Powell, towards the west, heading through the main section of the canyon towards Lake Mead. Standing at this vantage point, I could see for over fifty miles north and west. While the point was popular during sunset, I had the entire point to myself during sunrise. I felt so spoiled to enjoy the beauty of the canyon all by myself.

After capturing the first light over the canyon, I spent some time sitting quietly and praying. As I did, Ephesians 3:18-19 came to mind: "I pray that you may have the power to comprehend, with all the saints, what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, so that you may be filled with all the fullness of God." Standing at the rim of the Grand Canyon, it is easy to visualize the meaning of this verse as the canyon spreads into depths, heights, and distances away from my vantage point. Like so many others, there is a feeling of smallness and inadequacy to comprehend the extent of this canyon, much less the love of God which extends beyond any imagination!

When people cannot grasp the incredible size of the Grand Canyon, it is common for people to minimize it in order to take it all in. It just becomes another landscape amongst so many other sights to see along the canyon rim and the rest of the Colorado Plateau. My grandpa once commented that the Grand Canyon was just "a big hole in the ground". Sitting here at the rim, while he was right, he was also quite wrong--it's not just a big hole in the ground, but probably one of the most beautiful and intricate "holes in the ground" across the entire planet! But, "if you've seen one 'hole in the ground', you've seen them all".

How often am I a culprit of continuing this mentality towards the love of God! It's the love of God...it's everywhere. It's unescapable. The love of the most Beautiful One is so common that the unescapable becomes escapable. It becomes common and ordinary. In trying to grasp the great extent God's love reaches, how often do I minimize its reach or great intricacies. Having to wrestle with both the great extent of the Grand Canyon, one trick I learned is to find a focal point. It could be a spot on the Colorado River, a particular rock, spire, or butte, but find something in the midst of the entire canyon that captures your attention. As you focus upon that one point--it's beauty, it's mammoth size (or smallness), and all the details upon that one point, then the rest of the canyon falls into place--in seeing this one point, I can see the rest of the canyon in context to this one point, and the Grand Canyon becomes all that more grand.

In comprehending the love of God, I need to do the same thing. In focusing on one particular point in God's love, I am drawn to see the intricate and incredible essence of that one facet of God's love, and while focusing upon that one point, my periphery starts setting that one focal point into a context of the grander scheme of God's love. I can start to see and appreciate His limitlessness.

That was such a good reminder as I sat in the silence of such a massive canyon.

Photos of the Week are available. Blessings to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment